Information Technology (IT)
Utilising technology to develop custom, innovative solutions to eliminate operational delays, increase throughput and improve safety.
Integration of distributed systems and the development of custom solutions is a key aspect of BEC Engineering service offering
We provide specialist experience and capabilities in the field of:
- Network and communications systems design
- Operating systems and network protocols
- High-level language programming
- Database systems programming
- Robotics and automated vehicle design
- Data, satellite, mobile, fibre, RF and microwave communications
Our technology team specialise in the design and implementation of highly customised solutions.
Using high performance embedded platforms and low-level development tools such as C#/.NET, C++, BEC has led the way in understanding and implementing bespoke, technology-driven solutions for complex problems.
Custom solutions include:
- Detection of partially emptied rail wagons during unloading operation (derailment prevention) or unevenly filled rail wagons during loading operation (loading optimisation)
- Optimisation of stacker/reclaimer operation through stockpile edge/end detection, bench and total height detection and sensing
- Ship berthing collision avoidance
- Anti-collision of mobile machines (both track & rail) through detection of obstacles in the travel path of the machine portal or superstructure
- Boom protection for ship loaders, stackers and reclaimers
- Ship loader hatch detection
- Container spreader transport vehicle automation
- Obstacle mapping for optimisation of vehicle movement control
Partially Dumped Ore Car Profiling System
The Partially Dumped Ore Car (PDOC) Profiling System is the system of choice for detecting and reporting residual ore volume in rail wagons following the car dumper cycle.
Developed and supported by BEC Engineering, the system has been selected and deployed across multiple port ore handling facilities for all major iron ore miners and has proven to be an essential, reliable, and safety-focused aspect of bulk handling operations
The PDOC system is a standalone sensor that accurately measures the residual volume of ore remaining in a wagon following the dumping cycle.
Utilizing 2-Dimensional laser scanning technology, the system:
- Profiles each wagon as it exits the car dumper and measures the volume of residual ore
- Reports alarms and status to the PLC to stop the forward motion of the indexer in the event of a partially dumper ore car
- Support the operator in making corrective actions by providing measurement data and 3D visualisation of the profiling wagon
Indexer Gap Spotting System
The Indexer Gap Detection System (LGAP) provides a solution to the problem of automatically locating the gap between the two ore cars to position the train indexer for correct arm insertion.
Building on BEC’s experience in laser scanning technology, The LGAP system will monitor, detect and measure the ore car gap and provide key data points about the location and position of the gap to the control system; thereby enabling improved positioning on the Indexer for arm insertion and first car find.
Bulk Measurement System
The Conveyor Bulk Measurement System (CBMS) is a complete turnkey solution to the problem of detecting, reporting and logging of ore volume, available capacity and belt drift on conveyor systems.
The system provides key metrics on bulk conveyors that when incorporated into the site control system, can provide real productivity and throughput gains to material handling operations.
The system incorporates laser scanning technology to reliably:
- Profile the bulk material to determine flow rates
- Measure the bulk edges relative to the belt edges so as to maximise loading capacity
- Monitor belt location and alert on belt drift
- Detect potential ore spillage and assist in avoiding it
- Communicate key measures, alarms and status to the Control System PLC
- Record all measured data for failure mode analysis and preventative maintenance plan;
- Support the operator in taking corrective actions to either adjust loading rate, loading point or conveyor speed
Collision Avoidance System
ACS is a self-contained system designed to prevent collisions between stackers, reclaimers and ship loaders when entering areas of proximity or with other structures.
ACS utilises both existing machine instrumentation to calculate machine-to-machine collision distances or through the addition of active sensors, can detect the presence of objects or structure that may pose a collision risk.
BEC Engineering’s ACS features include:
- Data and event logging to Microsoft™ SQL, or a networked database server
- Direct contact to a PLC-based control system for position, status and alarming data
- Independent processing units for maximum flexibility and reliability
- Industrial-grade components to operate in extreme and harsh environments
- Integrated 3D HMI with full diagnostics and condition reporting
- Real-time calculation of collision zones across multiple machines